Saturday, November 08, 2008

bad weekend and some Fall work



Last weekend was miserable racing for me. I flatted both days. Saturday in Bristol TN riding in 2nd I clipped a course marking stake with my front wheel and tore the sidewall out. One dead tire and a lot of coasting and running to the pit had me fighting back from just about last place. I got back to 6th, but no better.

.

I managed to salvage the day by winning the single speed race immediately following the elite race....it was just 30 minutes, but I had to really dig deep as 2nd was chasing @ 10 seconds or so the whole time.

.

Sunday we raced in Lenore, NC. The course was awesome for me...lots of fast, straight pedaling sections. Unfortunately I missed the lead group of 4 or 5 (again) and was chasing with 2 others, when...you guessed it....I flatted....and just past the pit on a very long course! By the time I made it around to change my wheel I was about 2 minutes BEHIND LAST PLACE! I was very close to throwing in the towel, but I put in a challenge to myself: don't get lapped and don't get last. I rode really hard...probably as hard as I would have ridden in the front group...and managed to accomplish both my goals. I rolled in for an exhausted 15th place. Damn, that was a hard ride for 15th!

.

Funny thing is that I have been racing cross for what....like 12 or 13 years now... and honestly I can almost count my flats and major mechanicals on one hand. Well...maybe two hands, but the point is there have not been too many so I can't complain.....and after all, while I could call it bad luck....in reality we usually make our own luck in cycling. Saturday I cut the course marker too tight and paid the price, operator error for sure. Sunday I am not certain exactly what happened but I might have hit a lip on a bridge just a little too hard...again probably my own fault.

.

Hoping for better luck at the sate championships tomorrow.

.

In the meantime, over the last couple of weeks we have been working on preparing to move the home office to a different room in the house. If I had all day for a few days I probably could have gotten this done in 3 days....as it was, squeezing in a couple hours here and there between writing schedules, email, phone calls and fit sessions it took 3 weeks! But now we are ready to move which will give us a nice downstairs guest bedroom and a place for Cara to study for her CPA exams.


.

a2

No comments: