Wednesday, June 03, 2009

24 solo #1





The Burn 24. 2 weeks ago: my first SOLO 24 hour race. After having done many team 24s (all the way back to 1994), a couple of solo 12s and some duo endurance races it was time to give the full show a shot. What a learning experience!
.
I went out a little hard, but stayed strong though about 12 hours ...then fell apart a bit. It rained overnight and things got tough. I started taking short breaks after every lap as I began to have trouble eating on the bike...so the breaks allowed me to continue to take calories in. I knew if I didn't do this I would completely fall apart. At around 4 am I thought I was done. I hurt in every imaginable way and thought we were going to pack up right then and go home. I took a 20 minute "nap" in the car...which resulted in about a 40 minute break all told. I woke up, and got back on the bike. It took just a few minutes , then things opened up and I started to feel really good....REALLY good.
.
I had fallen from 3rd when I started my break , down into 5th.....and was about 11 minutes behind 3rd at 6 am. I started flying...getting better and better every lap. By about 9 or 10 am I had moved into 2nd....which I held through to the end. 24.5 hours, 28 laps and about 200 miles of single track riding later I was done. I felt better at the finish than I did at midnight.....
.
In the morning when I was moving so fast after having such a rough night I knew that my primary questions that would come from doing this race were answered...#1 is will I focus on this discipline in the future?: yes.... I think it suits me well.
.
Big congrats goes out to Erik Nielsen on his win. He led the entire race and while he had a rough time early in the morning....he pulled through nicely to win (it was also his first solo 24).
.
A big thanks also goes out to my support crew of my old friend Mark Wolff from colorado who worked the bikes and of course Cara who held me together....
.
This past weekend with less than a week of recovery I headed up to the Mohican 100 ...100 mile MTB race in Ohio which was stop # 2 of the NUE series. All the big boys were there to play. We started and I moved like a snail for the first 30 miles....and I mean SLOW. I watched the lead group ride away ..then the middle of the pack riders ride away....then I finally got things going. As the day went on I again got stronger and stronger and finished fast, feeling great. Unfortunately I lost a ton of time early and my time was just 8:12....WAY off the pace of the top 10. I think my official place was 25th. So the lesson for the week was: don't race the week after a 24 hour solo! Or at least if you do: don't expect to get a good result :)
.
Things are just starting to get fun......
.
a2


1 comment:

Cogburner said...

Glad to see you are back on it and doing well!

Wish I could have been at the Mohican, but the Connecticut Stage Race was awesome - I think I've been bitten by the TT bug...